Monday, June 27, 2011


So let me first say that I LOVE Ireland. I would love to go back there for another visit. I mean I know that I am only a little bit Irish, but still I loved everything about it. Dublin itself wasn't as great as I was expecting, but the country side was everything and more. Let me tell you about my whole weekend before I get into any detail and miss parts!


Friday morning at 6:30 came very early. Too early. I had to meet Caitlin and Katherine at Angel Tube stop, and we wanted to make sure that we had plenty of time to get to the train station and get our tickets, well we had plenty. Too much I'd say. But we got all the way there, got our tickets and made our way to the bathroom. I never ever thought the day would come that I would have to PAY to go pee. I found it rather ridiculous, because well the reason you're paying is so that it is clean...well it wasn't. We got some food, well...I got some food because I was starving and needed some coffee. I got a lovely fruit and yogurt bowl, and we found a nice place to sit down (on the floor of course) so that we could wait a good 45 minutes until we had to board the train. I have to say that the bag that they gave me for my food was the cutest little bag. Its the small things in life I swear...We were waiting for our pub quiz master Billy, because he happened to be going the same way we were so we traveled with him. He was so sweet, he brought us all food for the train. Not like little munchies (although there was some of that too), he cooked a legitimate meal and brought it for the three of us. So nice of him! We were traveling along seeing all of the sites, taking pictures and playing cards! It was a lovely ride. We were about an hour into the trip, then this lady next to us goes "Um, you do realize this is a quiet car" and of course we had no clue. It was this tiny little sign, and we didn't even notice. We were just playing our game minding our own business, but oh well! We apologized and said that we would be moving to the next car at the next stop, which was 10 minutes away, and she said very rudely "so am I!". Oh well, she must have been having a bad day. We did move at the next stop but there were no seats, so we had to stand until the next stop...We got off and transfered trains so that we could sit and we rode that to Holyhead so that we could get on our ferry. On that train we stopped at all of the local stops, and one of those included the longest train station name in the world. I'm not going to even write it. The picture can explain. 

Our "Ferry"
We finally got to the ferry station, and boarded our ferry. It wasn't really like a ferry, it was more of a cruise ship! It had a movie theater, casino, a bar, it was very "posh". We were on that for about 3.5 hours...which it was fun but we were ready to get there. Of course when we got there it was raining and so cold. We took a taxi to our hostel and checked in! I was surprised at our hostel, it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. We had a room with a total of 6 girls. Of course there were three of us so that only left a little room for strangers. We wanted to go exploring in the rain, so we got our umbrellas and headed out to find some food. We ended up eating at a Chinese food buffet in Ireland...I know. We went back to the hostel after dinner and went to bed. It was a very long day of traveling, and by the time we got back it was about 11pm and we had to get up early the next day anyways. 
After being outside on deck
Our Hostel


All of the stone walls
Once again it was an early morning. We got all ready and headed out to go on our bus trip to the Cliffs of Moher. On our way we made a few stops and as we were driving we got lessons, and all of us were leaning over each other trying to get pictures.The country side was breath taking. I absolutely fell in love with it. It was amazing to be driving down the road and see all of these rock walls built up, even in the middle of the fields. Our tour guide explained that back in the days of the famine, people had to work to get whatever food they could get from the English so they made the Irish build these rock walls. They are the markings of plots of property that have been there for hundreds of years. I couldn't even fathom all of the people and hours that were put into building these walls. They go on and on and on along the country side.  Besides a few restroom breaks, our first stop was an Abbey. It was very cool, except it was raining still at this point and very cold. We got a few pictures, and a history lesson...and headed back on the bus. Let me just say that the Italian couple next to us needed to get their own room or something...they were ALL over each other. I wanted to throw something at them, and be like REALLY!? Later in the trip she was feeding him Cheetos, rather amusing, yet sick. Our next stop was the shoreline. It was great. We got off the bus and it was like I was in New England, smelling that salt water. Oh it was great. I got so happy instantly seeing the waves crash into the rocks, I could have stood there for hours watching that, and listening to the sounds of nature. Of course we had to go though. But it was ok because the next stop was in this tiny tiny little town where we ate lunch. I ate a huge "typical" Irish lunch. It had potatoes!! I devoured it, very fast too. In line to get our food, we ran into this girl who was from Canada just traveling around Ireland by herself for the heck of it. She was a very cool person, I was talking to Caitlin mentioning that I had a headache and she had a peppermint oil. She told me to rub it on my temples and the back of my neck and it would go DID! Great stuff. We didn't have much time to eat by the time we got through the line. 

Lunch that was DEVOURED

We were off again. We made it finally to our destination of the Cliffs of Moher. We were supposed to have an hour and a half there, but we only got 45 minutes because it was so foggy, our tour guide said that we would go to a castle for the other 45 minutes. The cliffs were beautiful once the fog lifted for a few minutes. It was extremely windy. Our tour guide (Tom) said that they had to put up stone walls so that people wouldn't get blown away. Because apparently its not a rare thing there. Crazy. These cliffs are in the running to be one of the new 7 wonders of the world. Too cool. 

When the fog lifted

Just so you can see how windy/foggy

Before the fog lifted


We all loaded up the bus and went to the castle. It was cool to see, and that is where I bought my new ring. I have always wanted a claddagh ring, and I got a "fake" one before at Kohls, but I bought a new one. It is my favorite purchase I have made since I have been here. I love it! It was hard to hand over my debit card to pay for it, but I would have regretted not buying it. The coolest part, the ring has an Irish origin, and I bought it from Ireland! I also found there what the Ford family crest looked like, I didn't buy the pin that had it on it because it was 4 euros, which was expensive for a little pin...but I thought it was sweet!
My new ring!

We finally were on our way home. I fell asleep on the bus on the way back, and then we were in Dublin before we knew it. I liked listening to the bus drivers collection of Irish tunes. I wanted to get a CD. Anyways we were back in Dublin, and we decided to explore. Walked around for a while. Finally decided to go to Whelens Pub. Billy told us to go there because he took all of the photographs there, and its just a cool we took his advice (because he's from Ireland) and went there. It was such a great idea! I found an amazing cider that I like, its called Blumers. I was pretty excited to find that when I got back to London I could buy it in stores. Anyways we had a good time, just dancing and hanging out. Watching all of the amusement for the night. Caitlin and I had to go to the bathroom, so we went to find it and we read all of the graffiti on the walls, and found out that that pub is where P.S. I love you was filmed. We weren't sure (so of course we took lots of pictures) and googled it when we got home. So cool!!  We headed home again, which was an extremely long walk, but the streets were still hoppin'. I once again ate, a whole 12 inch sub this time...on our walk home. We got home and went right to bed, because well the other three people were in bed already so we couldn't really do anything.

Pub in P.S. I love you
Whelan's (Pub in P.S. I love you) All three buildings are the pub

First Guinness
We had a few hours in the morning so we had one more thing on our list to do...go to the Guinness factory of course! It was very awesome, very well laid out. We did the tour, and then got to the end with the free pint of Guinness. I found out that I don't hate it, I just can only drink a very little bit. It is very very bitter! We had to go back to the hostel to get our bags and head to the ferry station. We made it, but this ferry wasn't as cool as the first one...but it did travel a lot faster. We stat in this area with a bunch of comfy chairs lined up like a movie theater, and they played a cartoon from when I was very very little. It was called "whacky racers". I watched about 3 episodes and then fell asleep. We go on to the first train, and then had our layover. Got some food and then got on our last train. The last train was horrible. It was cramped and very very hot. They didn't have the AC on. Everyone was dying of heat. Caitlin fell asleep, and Kat had to sit two rows behind us, so I ended up talking to the people across the aisle from me. It made the time pass, and it was a train ride of interesting conversation. We finally got back, of course a half hour late. I got the tube and then finally made it home. I was so exhausted, and gross. Literally the first thing I did was take a shower. Time for bed. Morning would come early. 

Just another work day. Work work work. Groceries, home. That was my day in a nutshell. The only interesting thing is that it was 86 degrees here today. I haven't seen that yet since I have been here! 

Well I think you are all caught up finally. 


No comments:

Post a Comment